Tuesday 20 September 2022

Cut flowers


As everything increases in price, it feels rather an indulgence to buy myself cut flowers. They feel like a real luxury and hardly something that can be justified. I was, therefore, delighted to receive a large bouquet of alstroemerias the other day from a thoughtful friend. They arrived in bud and looked quite a dark red but with water, light and warmth (not that my sitting room is that warm, it has to be said!) the blooms have unfurled and in the light they are the most vibrant, rich purple. I love how the individual flowers always have a pattern of spots inside, making them look rather exotic. Quite honestly, I think these are one of my favourite cut flowers and, with luck, they should last a decent while, to be enjoyed. Perhaps the pleasure I get from such small, unnecessary purchases justifies the expense? Good coffee, good chocolate, cut flowers and perfume are my cheer-me up extravagances. Oh - and books! 😉😂