Friday 27 January 2023

Trying to be subtle


I often see other photographers' landscape work that has a seductive blend of softness and yet detail, and the exact quality has always eluded me in my own work. I'm not trying to reproduce someone else's ideas or images - that's impossible anyway - but rather seeking to push my own boundaries and keep on learning. On a trip up to Malhamdale recently, the light was ever-changing and, at one point, I was really struck by the variety of tones in the scenery - aquas, soft greys and light russets seemed to be there, giving almost a smoky quality to the foliage. I have tried to process this image rather differently from how I'd usually do it: lighter, less saturated and softer. Perhaps it's less 'as I saw it' and more 'as I perceived it'. I think I quite like it.