Wednesday 17 August 2022

Pastels


I really should find time to make more creative, non-representational images. I do quite enjoy myself when I let go and just let myself play. It's hard to judge whether the results are worthwhile, but these days it seems the only way you can be truly original (by which I mean show something different and innovative) as a photographer is to make composite or artistic images, one way or another. Most good landscape scenes have been Instagrammed to death. Sport, nature, portraits and street are kind of niche genres that I'm not too fond of shooting, and many of their subjects are seen over and over again, somewhat predictably. 'Birds on sticks', jet skis, racing motorbikes and so on...  

I did this one a while ago and just came across it again. It often helps to review these kinds of images some time later. If I still like them after a passage of time, that is good. I can't even recall when or where I took the base images but I was playing with water and reflections and then adding coloured texture layers. (As far as I'm concerned, my creative images are so 'original' that I couldn't reproduce one of them a second time myself, even if I wanted to. I don't keep note of the steps in their creation.) This one would probably look good printed on some matte, textured art paper. Printing is another thing I should perhaps do more of, though then you have to find space to store the prints, always a problem.